Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Utilities cut costs with Smart Grid technology says PERI Software Solutions Inc.
"This is all about how technology can transform the way utilities
can deliver power to customers," said President and CEO Sarav
Periasamy, PERI Software Solutions Inc.
DistribuTECH Conference and Exhibition (March 23-25, 2010)in Tampa Convention Center, Tampa Fl. The conference focuses on givingexecutives the knowledge for creating a sustainable energy future.“But more importantly we need to educate and engage consumers in the transformation. By doing so customers worry less about rate hikesand feel more comfortable in saving energy and the environment.” PERI Software, a business solutions company based in Newark,NJ offers a solution that consists of smart electric meters that are capable of collecting fine grained household electrical usage data and
transmitting the data securely over mobile phones using general packet radio service (GPRS) or WIFI Mesh. GPRS concentrators areused to avoid the repetitive and cost intensive maintenance for
“The data collected is integrated into a smart grid enterprise information system,” explained Periasamy. “The application supportsdata collection, analytics, system planning, engineering, operations, energy management, asset management, and value-added customer services. Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) Smart Meter and Demand Response formthe core enabling technologies for the smart grid. Beyond automated meter reads for billing purposes, smart meters serve as information gateways to customers. They also offer improved revenue management and proactive customer communications about energy efficiency.”
In a case study for a utility company, PERI provided solutions for using outdoor wireless mesh and GPRS solutions for implementing smart grid solutions. PERI had to overcome the challenges of deploying wide-area wireless broadband IP networks on a large scale, making wide-area broadband coverage possible. PERI provided a solution that is scalable, reliable, performance bound and secured that the customer needed. The backend application is an enterprise-wide geographic information system (GIS) supported by a business intelligence application.
Additionally, PERI helped the utility company with the follow smart grid business solutions:
• Pilot implementation with sample automatic meter reading (AMR)
• Setting up AMR processes to collect, process and record power consumption data at preset interval
• Building MIS/GIS solutions to understand electrical load in real time
• Provisioned to download collected data into handheld device for instant
billing at consumer site
• Integrated Billing and Analysis module
• Management of the collected data on Smart Grid asset, system and device
• Operation and maintenance of the Smart Grid systems including hardware,firmware, and software
• Management and use of data collected to improve the utility business, including operation efficiency,
planning and utilization, energy efficiency and customer service
• Scope, evaluate and deployment of Smart Grid systems and devices including smart meters
• Security and Information protection politices, guidelines an dprocesses
• GIS based energy management system, distribution and outage management systems
Founded in 1999, PERI is a global business solutions company, which has grown to more than 700 plus employees and delivers high value-cost effective technology based business solutions.
PERI draws on deep industry expertise and a portfolio of interrelated consulting, business processes,application development along with smart-intelligent hardware and software products. PERI blends strategic design, proven technology, and timely delivery of solutions that maximize customers return on IT investment. For more info visit: www.PERIsoftware.com
[Editors: For media interviews and images contact Aida Mayo or George Mc Quade at
818-340-5300 or 818-618-9229 or email: Publicity@mayocommunications.com.]
MAYO PR - "We don't guarantee media, we just get it!"